I loathed beets until about two years ago. By loathed, I mean LOATHED. It was the one food I just couldn’t handle and if it touched anything else I was eating, I was finished. Fortunately, a few years ago I decided to give beets another bash in a salad with goat cheese, and now I am in love (by the way goat cheese and beets is one of the most heavenly combinations). If their intense color alone doesn’t shock you into believing how much nutrition they’re packing, then read on.
- Beets naturally cleanse our systems by helping the liver out and purifying our bloodstreams, they are especially beneficial to women’s digestive systems which tend to be slightly more stubborn than men’s.
- Beets have several anti-inflammatory benefits and can thus aid our immune system, prevent wrinkles, prevent chronic diseases, reduce blood pressure… to name a few
- Beets are very high in antioxidants
- Beets can boost your mental health
- Beets are PACKED with many vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin B and iron
Another perk: the perfect lip stain. I’m not even joking. When I drink beet juice, my lips turn into a lovely bright pink hue… albeit, topped off with a pretty pink moustache… but hey, juicer problems. Here is my favourite way to enjoy beet juice:
Makes 2 servings
3 medium beets
1 inch of ginger
Clean all your produce, chop it up and throw it in the juicer. No need to peel anything and you can even juice the beet stalks and leaves, just make sure everything is very clean. Take a minute to acknowledge the intense colors, and enjoy!