I love the 4th of July in America. It is THE summer holiday and the celebrations range from family BBQs, to boat parties to all out razzles, and of course… fireworks. It’s great. I’m never home for the 4th, so I always try and do a little something “American” for dinner (combined with South African wine, of course). This year it was vegan chilli (still tweaking the recipe) and jalapeño cheddar corn bread. Let’s just get one thing straight: there are few things in this world that smell better than the combination of jalapeños and cheddar coming from your oven. I die.
(Fireworks over Chicago… source)
Gluten-Free Jalapeño-Cheddar Corn Bread (with vegan option)
Yields 12 muffins
1 cup of cornmeal
1 cup of chickpea flour
¼ cup of sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of salt
1 TBS chia seeds + 2 TBS boiling water (or 1 egg if you’re not going vegan)
1 cup milk of choice
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
¼ cup of canola oil
5 TBS of minced jalapeño (seeds and membranes removed)
Approximately 6 ounces (170grams) of grated cheddar cheese (omit if vegan)
1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and grease/line 12 muffin tins.
2. Briskly mix chia seeds with boiling water in a small cup or bowl and set aside. Allow the chia seeds and water to set for at least ten minutes.
3. Add apple cider vinegar to milk and allow it to set for a few minutes. Milk should look curdled and will have a “buttermilk” effect once set.
4. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk until all dry ingredients are mixed.
5. In a separate bowl combine oil, curdled milk and chia seed/water mix. Then add to dry ingredients and mix until all ingredients are combined.
6. Fold in minced jalapeño and grated cheese.
7. Fill muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Deeeelightful! No leftovers, so I think a second batch will be in order.
Enjoy your weekend!