I have a treat for you today….
Sundays are for baking in my books, and since I have an inner cookie monster, this Sunday I wanted cookies (surprise!). Initially, I was craving the good ole chocolate chip variety, but venturing to the shops for chocolate didn’t sound very appealing, so I had to improvise with what I had. What resulted were the most wonderful snickerdoodles I have ever had. I can only compare them to the super soft ones you buy at stores like Costco that are full of terrible ingredients but taste oh-so worth it. Fortunately, these are vegan, can be made gluten free, and are super easy. Best of all, they practically melt in your mouth. Utter goodness.
yields about 24 cookies (give or take depending on how much dough you “test”)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of coconut oil, softened
1/2 cup of sugar (or granulated sweetener of choice)
1/4 cup of coconut or almond milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract
cinnamon for rolling
1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and teaspoon of cinnamon together into a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine softened coconut oil, sugar, milk, and vanilla until mixed.
3. Add dry mix to wet mix in batches until a dough is formed. Shake some cinnamon onto a clean surface and roll the dough into 1-1.5 inch balls and then roll them in the cinnamon. Place cookie dough balls on a baking sheet.
4. The trick to soft snickerdoodles is to put them in the oven when they are very cold. So to achieve this, put the baking sheet of cookie dough balls into the freezer for 30 minutes. Once they have been in the freezer for a while, start preheating the oven to 165C (330F). After 30 minutes in the freezer, put the cookies directly into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes take the cookies out of the oven, they will look underdone, but just wait. Let them cool on the pan for half an hour, then store in an air-tight container…. but first, take a bite!
Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday fellow cookie monsters 🙂