It’s no secret I’m a Mexican food FANATIC, there’s just something about the fresh ingredients and the combination of cilantro, cumin, chile, and lime that really gets me excited about sitting down for a meal (well, more than usual, that is). So naturally, Cinco de Mayo is a holiday I fully acknowledge.
Contrary to popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico’s independence day (that is the 16th of September), but rather when the Mexican army beat the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862 (thanks Wikipedia!). We learn something new every day 🙂
Here’s a round-up of some delicious Mexican recipes from around the web:
1. Fish Tacos and Buckwheat Tortillas by yours truly! (note: there’s also a recipe for a delicious beetroot slaw and mango salad in there).
2. Restaurant-Style Salsa by the Pioneer Woman, serve with tortilla chips and guacamole for a yummy vegan starter.
4. Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce by OhSheGlows.
5. Chicken Mole – complicated, but the traditional Cinco de Mayo dish.
6. Carne Asada for the carnivores, by Mexico in my Kitchen.
7. Vegan Mexican Street Corn by a House in the Hills
8. Tres Leches Cake, because… it’s a holiday. Thanks, Alton Brown.
9. Simple Margarita: 1 part tequila, 1 part Grand Marnier, freshly squeezed lime juice, agave to taste, all in a shaker and then poured over ice in a salt rimmed glass.
Mexican food is pretty forgiving so have fun today and play in the kitchen. ¡Hasta luego!