South Africa is an interesting place. There are daily challenges here that I never considered when I was living stateside and unfortunately, most of these challenges sit within social issues and a government that is so corrupt, your faith in humanity can’t help but die a little. On the other hand, it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, is culturally rich, is home to some lovely people, and has a big piece of my heart.
Living here for 5+ years in cities and globalized areas like Cape Town and Sandton, I’ve often forgotten I live on African soil. Now that we’ve moved out of the city and to the country, I get little reminders almost daily:
These guys were chowing grass outside our bedroom window the other day.
I encountered this beauty and her friend while I was on a run this morning
I basically go into tourist mode every time I see them, they are just amazing 🙂
Enjoy your weekend!
Any plans for Mother’s Day? Mother’s are so special, and definitely have one of the hardest jobs. I’m lucky to have a mama who always let’s me know she’s close even though she lives in another hemisphere. She’s a special lady, with one of the biggest hearts, and is someone I continue to learn from everyday. Here are a few delights that I have on mind in honor of Mother’s Day:
(my parents <3)
1) This recipe for Raw Chocolate Brownies. My mom would probably roll her eyes and say “let’s just make the real thing”, but I have a feeling she wouldn’t turn these down… Chocolate is chocolate.
2) Tulips, mine and my mom’s favorite. I know it’s Autumn here in South Africa, but to me Mother’s Day means spring flowers, specifically Tulips. How gorgeous is this arrangement? Tulips, green snowball viburnums, peonies, and geraniums.
3) This cocktail… Blood Orange Tyme Paloma. I love a good Paloma, but this is a lovely spin and perfect for a sunny lunch.
4) Ceviche. I would love to share my mom’s recipe for this delicious Peruvian dish, but she has yet to share it with me! It’s such a tasty, fresh, and healthy dish, I could eat it daily.
5) This video. No words, just watch it.
Before I go… A little cuteness overload. Check out our little house guests! Their new mom (Matt’s mom) will be collecting them this weekend, but she might have to pry them out of my arms.
Have a great weekend, and don’t forget to give your mamas some love 🙂
Happiest Friday to you all and I hope all you South Africans are staying warm… talk about a cold front!!!
Today I’m sharing 4 delightful things that I’ve got on my mind at the moment:
1. Have you heard of Lorde? She’s this Kiwi teenager singer-songwriter, who has a really nice sound and I just can’t get enough of her song “Royals”. Here it is for your listening pleasure:
2. This weekend we’re hosting a lunch and I’m thinking these beet crostinis, and these butternut croquettes might have to happen. Sneaky veggie treats for the meat eaters in attendance. Note: those butternut croquettes are delicious and so easy.
3. Hot Toddies. I’m really loving these at the moment, and I have to say… it’s probably one of the healthiest cocktails out there. I use the juice of 1/2 a lemon, 1 teaspoon of raw honey, hot water and some whiskey. So comforting. I’ve been told Hot Toddies are “good for the soul”, so I’m going to go ahead and keep telling myself that.
4. It’s August. While that’s delightful in some respects (Spring is around the corner, USA trip is coming up, etc), where did this year go??? They say life only gets faster, so even if your weekend is jam-packed, take a minute to soak it in, slow down and really enjoy every moment. That’s my goal 🙂
Enjoy your weekend and stay warm (preferably with a Hot Toddy)!
Happy Friday, lovelies!
TGIF. Am I right? Here are a few things I am finding delightful at the moment:
1) Sustainability Week in Johannesburg. It is Sustainability Week in Joburg and since Wednesday, there have been various green seminars and events happening at the Sandton Convention Center. These are the kind of events that inspire me and make my heart smile. We’ll be checking out the Green Home and Lifestyle Fair this weekend and I can’t wait.
2) Paleo recipes. A friend of mine has recently gone Paleo and I am intrigued. Especially in the baked goods, these are happening soon.
3) Peruvian Independence Day. Not as random as it sounds… I am half Peruvian and my mother kindly emailed me to remind me to celebrate this weekend. Aji de Gallina… Pisco Sours… I’m coming for you.
4) Cashew Cream. It tastes so rich and decadent that it’s hard to believe it’s not dairy! This poblano version is happening tonight.
5) In 59 days I get to meet Tara Stiles and take one of her classes. She is my idol.
6) Can summer just get here already. I’d like to walk around wearing this.
Have a delightful and hopefully green weekend!